3G or 2G Cellular Gateway Charge Fault
The error Charge Fault generally indicates a physical condition affecting a cellular gateway's power consumption and charging with a battery backup. This article will provide information on this issue and possible resolution.
Possible Causes of a Charge Fault Error
- The gateway is battery-powered and has been exposed to temperatures outside the specifications.
- The power adapter supplying power to the gateway is not operating as expected.
- The power supply being used is not the power supply provided by Monnit.
- There is noise introduced in the power being supplied to the gateway from the power source (receptacle).
- The Battery Cycle Life of 500 discharges has been reached.
- The gateway/battery is damaged.
Gateway Battery Specifications
If a gateway is exposed to temperatures outside the temperature specifications, this error may be triggered (and the gateway/battery may be damaged). Cellular gateways that have a battery backup have the following temperature specifications:
Operating Temperature: -20 to 55°C (-4 to 131°F)
Charging Temperature: 0 – 45°C (32 to 113°F)
Storage Temperature: -20 to +60°C (-4 to 140°F)
Battery Type: Rechargeable Lithium Polymer
Battery Duration: Up to 24 hours
Battery Cycle Life: 500 times
Gateway Specification documents:
Additional specification sheets are available at monnit.com/support.
Troubleshooting this error
These steps do not apply to 4G LTE Gateways.
- Power the gateway off.
- Gather the original power adapter supplied with the gateway.
- Connect the power adapter to a known-good power receptacle.
- Perform a complete reset of the gateway using the steps below.
If the gateway requires a custom APN to be provisioned, you will need to send the APN to the gateway again using the steps in the following article: https://monnit.azureedge.net/content/documents/quickstart/MQS024-Monnit-International-CGW-Quick-Start.pdf.
- Start with the gateway powered down (unplugged/off).
- Press and hold the Reset button while the gateway is powered off (keep holding).
- Power the gateway on (still holding Reset).
- Allow LEDS to light three AMBERs to three GREENs, stay on with three REDS, and then release the button.
- When the button is released, the three LEDs flash GREEN, acknowledging the release, and then return to three solid RED LEDs.
- At this point, press and hold the Reset button until all of the LEDs go from solid RED to solid GREEN and finally to flashing GREEN before you release the button.
- Wait for the unit to reboot.
After performing the full reset above, you may need to perform a provisioning of the gateway, as mentioned in the note. Allow the gateway to check in and see if the issue is resolved. If you continue to see the error, there may be a physical issue. Please contact Monnit Support for further resolution.